When we were making a list of what to bring to Maine for a weeklong getaway with the family, this item made the very top of our list. Our Berkey water filter has proven affordable, simple, and a practical solution to clean drinking water that tastes amazing!
Why is this important? You may have heard or seen the movie, Erin Brokovich, based on a true story about a single-mother who fought a case against PG&E in California around groundwater contamination. Or, you may have about the contaminated water in Flint, Michigan.
Unfortunately, even in America, our municipal water comes with chemicals that are hazardous to our health (like heavy metals, chlorine, fluoride, pesticide residue, prescription drugs, and other nasty stuff.
There is no doubt in my mind that everyone should consider looking into a water filtration system and the profound effects it can have on their health. If you are not filtering your water, your body has to do all the hard work of detoxifying all of those contaminants.
There are tons of different options, and it can be exhausting looking into all of them. At the recommendation of a lot of influential people and doctors in the natural health world, I purchased a Berkey Water Filter. It is a bit pricey (around $350), but the filters last a long time.
Three things I love about Berkey Water Filters:
- They are effective at filtering and produce tasty water. If you are curious about how the Berkey filter compares to other household filter, check out this chart. And, the water tastes amazing! Their filters are guaranteed to remove the following:
- 99.9% of viruses,
- 100% pathogenic bacteria, parasites and cysts,
- 99.9% trihalomethanes (like chloroform)
- 99.9% inorganic minerals (like chlorine)
- 95% heavy metals (lead, mercury, cadmium, copper)
- 99.9% volatile organic compounds
- 95% fluoride removal (PF-2 filter only)
- The filters are able to be cleaned and last a long time. According to the Berkey website, each “black” filter is good for up to 3,000 gallons of water, and are able to be cleaned up to 100 times (I clean mine monthly, which only takes a few minutes in the sink). When I did a breakdown, it came out to approximately $2-3/monthly on water filters. Well worth it in my opinion!
- The design makes it portable and easy to sit on any countertop. Berkey’s sit right on top of your counter. They are easy to fill up with water from your sink. Better yet, if you like to travel, or don’t have a permanent living situation, they are super portable!
In best health,